Preparing for your Barbell Clean and Press
- The clean and press is a great exercise, which will build muscular endurance, strength & stamina at the same time. It’s a demanding exercise, which offers many benefits.
- If you are starting from scratch, start with the bar only & slowly build the weight up. Once you’ve done a few reps, this gets heavy fast!
Perfoming Your Barbell Clean and Press
- Start with your feet at shoulder width, holding the barbell near your shins.
- Push your hips backwards, grabbing the barbell so your knuckles are facing outwards (figure 2 above).
- Keep your legs planted to the ground, with your head up & eyes focused forwards.
- Drive through and pull the bar in-line with your shoulders (figure 3).
- Press the bar directly overhead (figure 4), straightening your arms and legs.
- Return to start position & complete another rep!
Lift Bible Tips for Barbell Clean and Press
Keep your feet planted at all times during this workout, which will help you to gather some much-needed power.
Target Muscles: Anterior Deltoid
Synergists: Lateral Deltoid, Triceps Brachii, Clavicular (upper) Pectoralis Major, Middle and Lower Trapezius, Serratus Anterior, Supraspinatus
Required Level: Intermediate
Perfect Day to Train: It’s great to train during a shoulders workout, but you can also do this as part of a high intensity circuit.